D.Phil. in material science with extensive experience in nanotechnology, physical chemistry and polymer chemistry
Research experience in nanomaterial synthesis and characterization, development of nano- delivery systems for nutraceuticals and plant nutrients, polymer nanocomposites, water purification based on nanotechnology, value addition to natural resources
University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK 2002 – 2006
D.Phil. in Materials Chemistry
Thesis title: Synthesis and Exfoliation of Layered Double Hydroxides (LDHs): Characterization and Application in LDH/Polymer Nanocomposites
University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 1996 – 2000
BSc. Special Degree in Chemistry, First class (Hons.)
Department of Chemistry, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka 2007 – present
Sri Lanka Institute of Nanotechnology, Sri Lanka 2009 – 2013
Senior Research Scientist
Department of Chemistry, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 2006 – 2007
Department of Chemistry, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 2000 – 2006
Lecturer (study leave from 2002 – 2005)
1. Nilwala Kottegoda, Gayan Priyadarshane, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Damayanthi Dahanayake, Sunanda Genesekara, A J Gehan Amaratunge, Veranja Karunaratne, Composition and Method for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients, a continuation-in-part of U.S. application Ser. No. 12/794,741 filed June 5, 2010, US 8 696 784 B2, 15th April 2014. (Patent extended to 16 countries)
2. Nilwala Kottegoda, D A S Siriwardene, W M G I Priyadarshane, Chanaka Sandaruwan, D A D Madusanka, U A Ratnayake, Damayanthi Dahanayake, Sunanda Genesekara, Ajith De Alwis, Asurusinghe Kumarasinghe, A J Gehan Amaratunge, Veranja Karunaratne, Composition and Method for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients, a continuation-in-part of U.S. application, US 20140165683 A1, 12th June 2014 (Patent extended to 16 countries)
3. Nilwala Kottegoda, Imalka Munaweera, Nadeesh Madusanka, Veranja Karunaratne,
Compositions for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients and Process There of, US 8 361 185 B2, 29th Jan 2013
4. Nilwala Kottegoda, Imalka Munaweera, Nadeesh Madusanka, Ajith De Alwis, Sunanda
Gunasekara, Veranja Karunaratne, A Cellulose Based Sustained Release Macronutrient Composition for Fertilizer Application, US 8 617 284 B2, 31st Dec 2013.
5. Lilantha Samaranayake, Nilwala Kottegoda, A. R. Kumarasinghe, Sunanda Gunasekara,
Ajith De Alwis, Veranja Karunaratne, A Process For Preparation of Carbon Nanotubes From Vein Graphite, US 2011/0262341 A1.
6. Veranja Karunaratne, Gayan Priyadarshana, Nilwala Kottegoda, Sunanda Gunasekara,
Athula Senaratne, Process For Preparation Of Nanoparticles From Magnetite Ore, US provisional patent application filing date 2nd July, 2010; Application Serial Number: 61/361,092.
7. Imalka Munaweera, Nilwala Kottegoda, Lakshman Nethsinghe, Sunil Fernando,
Elastomeric Polymer/Spinel Nanoparticle Composites To Introduce Special Properties To Dipped Articles, WO/2010/046789 (Sri Lankan patent granted).
Patents 1 – 4 have been extended to China, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Canada, ARIPO, European Union, India, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa, Nigeria and USA, Sri Lanka
INNOVATIONS LEADING TO SALE OF TECHNOLOGY
“Slow and Sustained Release Nano-fertilizer, Nagarjuna Fertilzer Ltd., India – Purchase of the patents (1 – 4 above) and the technology transfer for commercialization purposes – March 2012
Nanotechnology can be beneficial for the environment in Nanotechnology edited by Noah Berlatsky, Farmington Hills, Mich : Greenhaven Press, A part of Gale, Cengage Learning, 2014
- Buddhika Gayani, A D L Chandani Perera, Nilwala Kottegoda, Thermodynamic, Equilibrium and Kinetic Studies of Adsorption of Rhodamine B onto Activated Bamboo Carbon,Desalination and Water Treatment, 2017,67, 271–283.
- Eshani Hettiarachchi, Nilwala Kottegoda, A D L Chandani Perera, Activated Coir for Removal of Water Hardness, Desalination and Water Treatment, 2017, 66, 103–110.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Gayan Priyadarshana, Asitha Siriwardhana, Upendra A. Rathnayake, DanushkaMadushankaBerugodaArachchige, Asurusinghe R. Kumarasinghe, Damayanthi Dahanayake, Veranja Karunaratne, and Gehan A. J. Amaratunga, Urea-Hydroxyapatite Nanohybrids for Slow Release of Nitrogen, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 1214−1221.
- Ajona Megalathan, Sajeewani Kumarage, Ayomi Dilhari, Siromi Samarasinghe, Manjula Weerasekera, Nilwala Kottegoda, Natural curcuminoids encapsulated in layered double hydroxides: a novel antimicrobial nanohybrid, Chemistry Central Journal, 2016, 10(36).
- G P Gunaratne, Nilwala Kottegoda, Nadeesh Madusanka, Imalka Munaweera, Chanaka Sandaruwan, W M G I Priyadarshana, Asitha Siriwardhana, B A D Madhushanka, U A Rathnayake, Veranja Karunaratne, Two new plant nutrient nanocomposites based on urea coated hydroxyapatite: Efficacy and plant uptake, Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 2016, 86 (4).
- Eshani Hettiarachchi, Rumali Perera, Chandani Perera, Nilwala Kottedgoda, Activated Coconut Coir for Removal of Sodium and Magnesium Ions from Saline Water, Desalination and Water Treatment, 2015, 1-12
- Gayan Priyadarshana, Nilwala Kottegoda, Atula Senaratne, Ajith de Alwis, and Veranja Karunaratne, Synthesis of Magnetite Nanoparticles by Top-Down Approach from a High Purity Ore, Journal of Nanomaterials, 2015, 2015, 8pages.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Jayoda Perera, Manjula Weerasinghe, Slow Release Anti-Fungal Skin Formulations Based on Citric Acid Intercalated Layered Double Hydroxides Nanohybrids, Chemistry Central Journal, 2015,9,27, DOI 10.1186/s13065-015-0106-3.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Pumi Perera, Nadeesh Madusanka and Veranja Karunaratne, Modified Layered Nanohybrid Structures for the Slow Release of Urea, Nanoscience & Nanotechnology-Asia, 2014, 4(2), 94-102.
- Supun Samindra, and Nilwala Kottegoda, Encapsulation of Curcumin into Layered Double Hydroxides, Nanotechnology Review, 2014, 3(6).
- Lilantha Samaranayake, Nilwala Kottegoda, A R Kumarasinghe, Veranja Karunaratne, Production of Carbon Nanotubes Using Vein Graphite, International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 2014, 3(5), 354- 357.
- Thiloka M Dissanayake, Nilwala Kottegoda, and Chandani Perera, Evaluation of ion adsorption capacities of Murunkan clay and coir as cost effective materials for desalination of water, Int. J. of Earth Sci. Eng., 2013, 6(4-1), 788-790.
- Asurasinghe R Kumarasinghe , Lilantha Samaranayake , Federica Bondino , Elane Magnano , Nilwala Kottegoda , Elvio Carlino , Upul N Ratnayake , Ajith de Alwis , Veranja Karunaratna , and Gehan A J Amaratunge, Self-Assembled Multilayer Graphene Oxide Membrane and Carbon Nanotubes Synthesized Using a Rare Form of Natural Graphite, J. Phys. Chem. C,2013, 117 (18), pp 9507–9519.
- G M C Alwis, U N Ratnayake, and Nilwala Kottegoda, Reinforcement and curing characteristics of organoclay filled natural rubber nanocomposites, Journal of the Rubber Research institute of Sri Lanka, 2013, 93.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Imalka Munaweera, Nadeesh Madusanka, Dinaratne Sirisena, Nimal Dissanayake, Gehan A. J. Amaratunga and Veranja Karunaratne, The Advent of Nanotechnology in Smart Fertilizer, World Agriculture, 2012, 3(1).
- Veranja Karunaratne, Nilwala Kottegoda, Ajith De Alwis, Nanotechnology in a World Out of Balance, Journal of National Science Foundation, 2012, 40: 3-8.
- Indrasekara, S., Nilwala Kottegoda, Layered Double Hydroxide (LDH) / Sugar Nanocomposites as Drug Excipients, Journal of National Science Foundation, 2011, 39:113-119.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Munaweera, I., Madusanka, N., Karunaratne, V., A Green Slow Release Fertilizer Composition Based on Urea Modified Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles Encapsulated Wood, Current Science, 2011, 101: 73 -78.
- Nadeesh Madusanka, Nilwala Kottegoda, Eternal Quest to Learn From Nature, It is now Nanotechnology, Chemistry in Sri Lanka, Feb. 2010.
- Kottegoda N. S., Jones W., Preparation and Characterisation of Li-Al-glycine Layered Double Hydroxides (LDHs)-Polymer Nanocomposites, Macromolecular Symposia, 2005, 222, 65-71.
- Contribution to concept paper “Stimulating innovation and efficiency in fertilizer production and use” Government Science Office, UK, Sep. 2012.
- Research networks in South Asia Analyzing international research collaborations in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka A custom research report for the British Council, The Economist, May 2014