CAMR links with several departments in the Faculty of Applied Sciences promoting collaborative research among academics. The center has established several industrial collaborations to provide solutions with a multidisciplinary approach. A selected list of publications and industry collaborations are highlighted here.
- Next generation nano-foliar nitrogen fertilizer
- Using natural available minerals for water treatment
- Polymeric water purification materials
Patents | Journal Articles | Abstracts | Conference Proceedings
- Malindu Alwis, Upul Ratnayake, Nilwala Kottegoda, Process of Making Unique Natural –Rubber Montmorillonite Nanocomposite using Charge Inversion Method, LK/P/1/19260, April 2017.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Gayan Priyadarshane, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Damayanthi Dahanayake, Sunanda Genesekara, A J Gehan Amaratunge, Veranja Karunaratne, Composition and Method for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients, a continuation-in-part of U.S. application Ser. No. 12/794,741 filed June 5, 2010, US 8 696 784 B2, 15th April 2014. (Patent extended to 16 countries)
- Nilwala Kottegoda, D A S Siriwardene, W M G I Priyadarshane, Chanaka Sandaruwan, D A D Madusanka, U A Ratnayake, Damayanthi Dahanayake, Sunanda Genesekara, Ajith De Alwis, Asurusinghe Kumarasinghe, A J Gehan Amaratunge, Veranja Karunaratne, Composition and Method for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients, a continuation-in-part of U.S. application, US 20140165683 A1, 12th June 2014 (Patent extended to 16 countries)
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Imalka Munaweera, Nadeesh Madusanka, Veranja Karunaratne, Compositions for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients and Process Thereof, US 8 361 185 B2, 29thJan 2013
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Imalka Munaweera, Nadeesh Madusanka, Ajith De Alwis, Sunanda Gunasekara, Veranja Karunaratne, A Cellulose Based Sustained Release Macronutrient Composition for Fertilizer Application, US 8 617 284 B2, 31stDec 2013.
- Lilantha Samaranayake, Nilwala Kottegoda, A. R. Kumarasinghe, Sunanda Gunasekara, Ajith De Alwis, Veranja Karunaratne, A Process for Preparation of Carbon Nanotubes from Vein Graphite, US 2011/0262341 A1.
- Veranja Karunaratne, Gayan Priyadarshana, Nilwala Kottegoda, Sunanda Gunasekara, Athula Senaratne, Process for Preparation of Nanoparticles from Magnetite Ore, US provisional patent application filing date 2ndJuly, 2010; Application Serial Number: 61/361,092.
- Imalka Munaweera, Nilwala Kottegoda, Lakshman Nethsinghe, Sunil Fernando, Elastomeric Polymer/Spinel Nanoparticle Composites to Introduce Special Properties to Dipped Articles, WO/2010/046789 (Sri Lankan patent granted).
Patents 2– 5 have been extended to China, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Canada, ARIPO, European Union, India, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa, Nigeria and USA, Sri Lanka
INNOVATIONS LEADING TO SALE OF TECHNOLOGY
- “Slow and Sustained Release Nano-fertilizer, Nagarjuna Fertilizer Ltd., India – Purchase of the patents (2 – 5 above) and the technology transfer for commercialization purposes – March
- Alwis, G.M.C. Kottegoda, N. Rathnayake, U.N., “Facile exfoliation method for improving interfacial compatibility in montmorillonite- natural rubber nanocomposites: A novel charge inversion approach”. Applied Clay Science, 191, 105633. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2020.105633)
- De Silva, M., Siriwardena, D. P. Sandaruwan, C., Priyadarshana, G., Karunaratne, V., Kottegoda, N., “Urea – silica nanohybrids with potential applications for slow and precise release of Nitrogen’’. Materials Letters: 272 (2020) (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2020.127839)
- Dharmasiri, M.B., Mudiyanselage, T.K., “Highly porous, fast responding acrylamide hydrogels through emulsion polymerization using coconut oil”. Journal of polymer engineering 2020; 40 (3): 237-246 (https://doi.org/10.1515/polyeng-2019-0290)
- Dharmasiri, M.B., Mudiyanselage, T.K., “Thermo-responsive poly (N-isopropyl acrylamide) hydrogel with increased response rate”. Polymer Bulletin. (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00289-020-03270-9)
- Darshani, T., Fronczek, F.R., Priyadarshani, V.V., Samarakoon, S.R., Perera, I.C., Perera, T., “Synthesis and Characterization of novel naphthalene-derivatized tridentate ligands and their net neutral rhenium tricarbonyl complexes and cytotoxic effects on non-small cell lung cancer cells of interest”. Polyhedron (2020), (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poly.2020.114652)
- Darshani, T., Thushara, N., Weerasuriya, P., Fronczek, F.R., Perera, I.C., Perera, T., “Flourescent di-(2-picolyl) amine-based drug-like ligands and their Re (CO)3 complexes towards biological applications”. Polyhedron 185 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poly.2020.114592)
- Darshani, T., Weldeghiorghis, T.K., Fronczek, F.R. Perera, T., “The first structurally characterized sulfonamide derivatized Zn (II)-dipicolylamine complexes with eight membered chelate rings. Synthetic and structural studies”. Journal of molecular structure 1216, (2020) (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2020.128310)
- Nissanka, B., Kottegoda, N., Jayasundara, D.R., “Probing structural variations of graphene oxide and reduced graphene oxide using methylene blue adsorption method”. Journal of Material Science 55, 1996 – 2005 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-019-04087-2)
- Pitigala, P. K. D. D. P., Henary, M. M., Perera, A. G. U., “Effects of physical orientation of molecular orbitals and dye molecules on performance of solid-state dye sensitized solar cells”. Materials Today: Proceeding, 23, 43-48 (2020) (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2019.06.189)
- Raguraj, S., Wijayathunga, W.M.S., Gunaratne, G.P., Amali, R.K.A., Priyadarshana, G., Sandaruwan, C., Karunaratne, V., Hettiarachchi, L.S.K., Kottegoda, N., “Urea-hydroxyapatite nanohybrid as an efficient nutrient source in Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze (tea)”. Journal of Plant Nutrition, (https://doi.org/10.1080/01904167.2020.1771576)
- Nissanka, B., Kottegoda, N., & Jayasundara, D. R. (2019). “Probing structural variations of graphene oxide and reduced graphene oxide using methylene blue adsorption method”. Journal of Materials Science. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-019-04087-2)
- Senevirathna, S. R., Amarasinghe, D. A. S., Karunaratne, V., Koneswaran, M., & Karunanayake, L. (2019). “Effect of microstructural arrangement of MDI‐based polyurethanes on their photoproperties”. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 136(18), 47431. (https://doi.org/10.1002/app.47431)
- Thathsara, S.K.T., Cooray, A.T., Ratnaweera D.R., Mudiyanselage, T.K., “A novel tri-metal composite incorporated polyacrylamide hybrid material for the removal of arsenate, chromate and fluoride from aqueous media,” Environmental Technology & Innovation, 14 (2019) 100353. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2019.100353)
- Kondarage, Y. G., H. M. J. C. Pitawala, T. Kirushanthi, D. Edirisinghe, and Thusitha N. Etampawala. “Ceramic Waste-Based Natural Rubber Composites: An Exciting Way for Improving Mechanical Properties.” Journal of Advanced Chemical Sciences (2018): 576-582. (https://doi.org/10.30799/jacs.191.18040303)
- Kirushanthi, T., Etampawala, T.N., Edirisinghe, D., Pitawala, J. and Ratnaweera, D.R., 2018. “Development of Agro-Industrial Waste Reinforced Natural Rubber Composite: A Potential Formulation for Rubber Flooring Product”. Journal of Advanced Chemical Sciences, pp.571-575. ( https://doi.org/10.30799/jacs.190.18040302)
- Wijesinghe, G., Dilhari, A., Gayani, B., Kottegoda, N., Samaranayake, L. and Weerasekera, M., Influence of Laboratory Culture Media on in vitro Growth, Adhesion, and Biofilm Formation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus. Medical Principles and Practice, 2018. ( https://doi.org/10.1159/000494757)
- Gayani, Buddhika, Ayomi Dilhari, Gayan Kanchana Wijesinghe, Sajeewani Kumarage, Gayani Abayaweera, Sameera R. Samarakoon, Inoka C. Perera, Nilwala Kottegoda, and Manjula M. Weerasekera. “Effect of natural curcuminoids‐intercalated layered double hydroxide nanohybrid against Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Enterococcus faecalis: A bactericidal, antibiofilm, and mechanistic study.” Microbiology Open (2018): e00723.( https://doi.org/10.1002/mbo3.7233)
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Veranja Karunaratne, Effect of Citric Acid Surface Modification on Solubility of Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles, ACS Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 2018, 66 (13), pp 3330–3337. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.7b05544)
- Upendra Ratnayake, Tharindu Senapathi, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Sanja Gunawardene, Veranja Karunaratne, Nilwala Kottegoda, “Rice Bran Nanofiber Composites for Stabilization of Phytase”. Chemistry Central Journal, 2018, 12:28. (https://doi.org/10.1186/s13065-018-0400-y)
- K.T. Thathsara, P.L.A.T. Cooray, Thilini Kuruwita Mudiyanselage, Nilwala Kottegoda, Dilru R. Ratnaweera, “A novel Fe-La-Ce tri-metallic composite for the removal of fluoride ions from aqueous media”. Journal of Environmental Management, 2018, 207, 387-395 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2017.11.041)
- Thathsara, T., Kottegoda, N., Corray, A., Ratnaweera, D., Mudyanselage, T. “A Novel Tri-Metal Composite Incorporated Polyacrylamide Hybrid Material for the Removal of Arsenate, Chromate and Fluorides from Aqueous Media” submitted to Journal of Hazardous materials,( https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2019.100353)
- Nayanathara, U., Kottegoda, N., Perera, I.C. and Mudiyanselage, T.K., 2018. Synthesis, photodegradable and antibacterial properties of polystyrene-cinnamaldehyde copolymer film. Polymer Degradation and Stability, 155, pp.195-207. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2018.07.021)
- Katugampala, S., Nanayakkara, C., Perera I.C., Perera, T. “Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity of Novel Copper – triazine Complexes” Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications, 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2530851)
- Nimshi L. Fernando, Nilwala Kottegoda, Sumedha Jayanetti, Veranja Karunaratne, Dilushan R. Jayasundara, “Stability of nano-hydroxyapatite thin coatings at liquid/solid interface, Surface & Coatings”. Technology 2018, 349, 24–3. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2018.05.042)
- GK Wijesinghe, PDTA Jayarathna, TDCP Gunasekara, N Fernando, N Kottegoda, MM Weerasekera, “Antibacterial and anti-candida activity of Chlorhexidine gluconate, Triphala and Munamal pothu (bark of Mimusops elengi)”. Sri Lankan Journal of Infectious Diseases 2018, 8(1): 25-31(http://doi.org/10.4038/sljid.v8i1.8166)
- Kirushanthi, T., Etampawala, T.N., Edirisinghe, D., Pitawala, J. and Ratnaweera, D.R., 2018. “Development of Agro-Industrial Waste Reinforced Natural Rubber Composite: A Potential Formulation for Rubber Flooring Product. Journal of Advanced Chemical Sciences” pp.571-575. (https://doi.org/10.30799/jacs.190.18040302)
- Madusanka, N., Sandaruwan, C., Kottegoda, N., Sirisena, D., Munaweera, I., De Alwis, A., Amaratunga, G.A.J. (2017). “Urea-hydroxyapetite-montmorillonite nanohybrid composites as slow release nitrogen compositions.” Applied Clay Science, 150, 303-308. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2017.09.039)
- Sumathirathne, L.D., & Karunanayake, L., “Synthesis of novel-porous tannin-phenol-formaldehyde cation exchange resin from Terminalia arjuna’’. J. Natn. Sci. Foundation Sri Lanka 2017 45(3): 2019-227. (http://dx.doi.org/10.4038/jnsfsr.v45i3.8186)
- Weerasekara, M.M., Jayarathna, T.A., Wijesighe, G.K., Gunassekara, C.P., Fernando, N., Kottegoda, N., & Samaranayake, L.P. (2017). “The effect of nutritive and non-nutritive sweeteners on the growth, adhesion and biofilm formation of Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis”. Medical Principles and Practice 26(6) 554-560. (https://doi.org/10.1159/000484718)
- Wimalasiri, V.K., Weerathunga, H.U., Kottegoda, N., & Karunaratne, V. (2017). “Silica based superhydrophobic nano coatings for natural rubber surfaces”. Journal of Nanomaterials, 2017, 1-14. (https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2102467)
- Ajona Megalathan, Sajeewani Kumarage, Ayomi Dilhari, Siromi Samarasinghe, Manjula Weerasekera, Nilwala Kottegoda, Natural curcuminoids encapsulated in layered double hydroxides: a novel antimicrobial nanohybrid, Chemistry Central Journal, 2016, 10(36), (https://doi.org/10.1186/s13065-016-0179-7)
- G P Gunaratne, Nilwala Kottegoda, Nadeesh Madusanka, Imalka Munaweera, Chanaka Sandaruwan, W M G I Priyadarshana, Asitha Siriwardhana, B A D Madhushanka, U A Rathnayake, Veranja Karunaratne, Two new plant nutrient nanocomposites based on urea coated hydroxyapatite: Efficacy and plant uptake, Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 2016, 86 (4)
- Eshani Hettiarachchi, Rumali Perera, Chandani Perera, Nilwala Kottedgoda, Activated Coconut Coir for Removal of Sodium and Magnesium Ions from Saline Water, Desalination and Water Treatment, 2015, 1-12(https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2015.1129649)
- Gayan Priyadarshana, Nilwala Kottegoda, Atula Senaratne, Ajith de Alwis, and Veranja Karunaratne, Synthesis of Magnetite Nanoparticles by Top-Down Approach from a High Purity Ore, Journal of Nanomaterials, 2015, 2015.(http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/317312)
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Jayoda Perera, Manjula Weerasinghe, Slow Release Anti-Fungal Skin Formulations Based on Citric Acid Intercalated Layered Double Hydroxides Nanohybrids, Chemistry Central Journal, 2015,9,27. (https://doi.org/10.1186/s13065-015-0106-3)
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Pumi Perera and Veranja Karunaratne, Modified Layered Nanohybrid Structures for the Slow Release of Urea, Nanoscience & Nanotechnology-Asia, 2014, 4(2), 94-102. (https://doi.org/10.2174/221068120402150521124729)
- Supun Samindra, and Nilwala Kottegoda, Encapsulation of Curcumin into Layered Double Hydroxides, Nanotechnology Review, 2014, 3(6). (https://doi.org/10.1515/ntrev-2014-0018)
- Lilantha Samaranayake, Nilwala Kottegoda, A R Kumarasinghe, Veranja Karunaratne, Production of Carbon Nanotubes Using Vein Graphite, International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 2014, 3(5), 354- 357.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Nadeesh Madusanka, Chanaka Sandaruwan, and Veranja Karunaratne, Synthesis of Ag Nanoparticle/Mg-Al-Layered Double Hydroxide Nanohybrids, European International Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 2014, 1(1), 1-4.
- Thiloka M Dissanayake, Nilwala Kottegoda, and Chandani Perera, Evaluation of ion adsorption capacities of Murunkan clay and coir as cost effective materials for desalination of water, Int. J. of Earth Sci. Eng., 2013, 6(4-1), 788-790.
- Asurasinghe R Kumarasinghe , Lilantha Samaranayake , Federica Bondino , Elane Magnano , Nilwala Kottegoda , Elvio Carlino , Upul N Ratnayake , Ajith de Alwis , Veranja Karunaratna , and Gehan A J Amaratunge, Self-Assembled Multilayer Graphene Oxide Membrane and Carbon Nanotubes Synthesized Using a Rare Form of Natural Graphite, J. Phys. Chem. C,2013, 117 (18), pp 9507–9519 (https://doi.org/10.1021/jp402428j)
- G M C Alwis, U N Ratnayake, and Nilwala Kottegoda, Reinforcement and curing characteristics of organoclay filled natural rubber nanocomposites, Journal of the Rubber Research institute of Sri Lanka, 2013, 93.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Imalka Munaweera, Nadeesh Madusanka, Dinaratne Sirisena, Nimal Dissanayake, Gehan A. J. Amaratunga and Veranja Karunaratne, The Advent of Nanotechnology in Smart Fertilizer, World Agriculture, 2012 3(1).
- Veranja Karunaratne, Nilwala Kottegoda, Ajith De Alwis, Nanotechnology in a World Out of Balance, Journal of National Science Foundation, 2012 40: 3-8. ( http://dx.doi.org/10.4038/jnsfsr.v40i1.4165)
- Indrasekara, S., Nilwala Kottegoda, Layered Double Hydroxide (LDH) / Sugar Nanocomposites as Drug Excipients, Journal of National Science Foundation, 2011 39:113-119.
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Munaweera, I., Madusanka, N., Karunaratne, V., A Green Slow Release Fertilizer Composition Based on Urea Modified Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles Encapsulated Wood, Current Science, 2011 101: 73 -78.
- Kottegoda N. S., Jones W., Preparation and Characterisation of Li-Al-glycine Layered Double Hydroxides (LDHs)-Polymer Nanocomposites, Macromolecular Symposia, 2005 222: 65-71.(https://doi.org/10.1002/masy.200550406)
- Nilwala Kottegoda, Nadeesh Madusanka, Eternal Quest to Learn from Nature, it is now Nanotechnology, Chemistry in Sri Lanka, Feb. 2010.
- Mihisirini Bhagya Dharmasiri, and Thilini Kuruwita Mudiyanselage, “Highly porous, fast swelling acrylamide hydrogels through emulsion polymerization using coconut oil”. SLAAS 75th Annual Scientific Sessions, Faculty of Science, University of Colombo, 8-13 December 2019
- Hiruni Thilanka Dedduwakumara, Nilwala Kottegoda, and Thilini Kuruwita Mudiyanselage. “Urea incorporated novel hydrogel synthesized by the polymerization of acrylic acid and acrylamide using diethylenetriamine (DETA) as a crosslinker for soil water retention in agriculture”. SLAAS 75th Annual Scientific Sessions, Faculty of Science, University of Colombo, 8-13 December 2019
- Jayarathne, R. M. H. H., Pitigala, P.K.D.D.P., Perera, V. P. S., “Electronic and structural properties of Cu2O nanocrystalline thin films grown on adhesive copper tape” Proceedings of the 35th Technical Sessions, Institute of Physics Sri Lanka, 35 (2019) 31-38.
- Malwathumulla, K. M. D. P. M., Pitigala, P.K.D.D.P., De Silva, W. W. P., “Syntheses and growth of p-Copper(I) Bromide polycrystalline thin films: Electronic, structural and stability properties”. Proceedings of the 35th Technical Sessions, Institute of Physics Sri Lanka, 35 (2019) 39-46.
- Jayarathne, R.M.H.H., Malwathumulla, K.M.D.P.M., and Pitigala, P.K.D.D.P., “Flexible Cu2O electrode for low-cost solar cell Applications”. Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Sciences, Proceedings or 75th Annual Sessions-2019, 508/E1, p.88 (2019)
- Rathnaweera, D. N., Pabodha, D., Sandaruwan, C., Priyadarshana, G., Deraniyagala, S. P., & Kottegoda, N. (2019). “Urea modified calcium carbonate nanohybrids as a next generation fertilizer”.
- Falon Kalutantirige, Buddhika Gayani, Ayomi Dilhari, Manjula Weerasekera, Nilwala Kottegoda, Dilru Ratnaweera, Preparation and Characterization of Silver Nanoparticle Incorporated Polydimethylsiloxane for Implanted Medical Devices, Bulletin of the American Physical Society, APS March Meeting 2018.
- Buddhika Gayani, Nilwala Kottegoda, Manjula Weerasekara, Dilru Ratnaweera, Improving Superhydrophobicity of PDMS by Embedding Fluorinated POSS Cages, Bulletin of the American Physical Society, APS March Meeting 2018.
- T N Alahakoon, C H Manathunga, V P S Perera, Shantha S N Gamage, Sodium manganese silicate as cathode material of sodium ion rechargeable battery, Institue of Physics, Sri Lanka, Proceedings of the technical sessions, 34 (2018) 87-91
- Wijesinghe H; Thilini Kuruwita Mudiyanselage “Development of novel natural rubber-based materials having enhanced properties” Submitted –ICHEM annual sessions
- Siriwardena, T.A.D.P., Priyadarshana, G., Sandaruwan, C., De Silva, M., Kottegoda, N. “Urea Modified Silica Nanoparticles: Generation of slow release plant nutrients”. Third Biennial International Symposium on Polymer Science and Technology, 2017.
- Jayalath, I.S., Nisansi, I.W.R., Pitigala, P.K.D.D.P. “Growing n-Cu2O thin films on transparent ITO substrate, to replace the opaque copper metal substrate, for Dye-sensitized solar cells”. Proceedings of the 36th Technical Sessions of IPSL 36 (2020) 30-35
- Nisansi, I.W.R., Jayalath, I. S., Pitigala, P.K.D.D.P., “Junction and material properties of n-Cu2O/p-CuI based heterojunction fabricated by low-cost methods”. Proceedings of the 36th Technical Sessions of IPSL 36 (2020) 23-29
- Senarathna, R.M.D.M., Wanniarachchi, W.K.I.L., Jayawardhana, S. and Rathnaweera, D.R., 2018, May. “Development of a Low-cost Automated Micro Dispense Digital Goniometric Device with Drop Shape Analysis”. In 2018 Moratuwa Engineering Research Conference (MER Con) (pp. 571-576). IEEE. (http://doi.org/1109/MERCon.2018.8421976)
- Senarathna, R.M.D.M., Wanniarachchi, W.K.I.L., Jayawardhana, S., Replication of the Surface Wettability of Plant Leaves with Different Surface Morphologies Using Soft Lithography. Abstract currently accepted for an Oral presentation at the 5th International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology to be held in December, 2018