Dr. Kosala Sirisena
- Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- B.Sc. degree in Biological Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (October 2015 – July 2017) Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences. Rutgers University, Newark, NJ, USA. (Advisor: Dr Mihaela Glamoclija)
- Visiting Researcher (November 2015 – July 2017) Geophysical Laboratory Carnegie Institution of Washington, DC, USA. (Advisor: Dr Andrew Steele)
- Research Assistant (January 2015 – February 2015) GNS Science, Lower Hutt, New Zealand (Advisor: Dr Chris Daughney)
- Research Assistant (May 2014 – December 2015) School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. (Advisor: Prof. Ken Ryan)
- Teaching Assistant, Cell Biology (BIOL 111) (March 2012 – July 2012) School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. (Advisor: Prof. Joe Zuccarello)
Scholarships / Fellowships:
- Victoria Doctoral Submission Scholarship (2013) from Victoria University of Wellington – New Zealand
- Victoria Doctoral Scholarship (2010) from Victoria University of Wellington – New Zealand
- Victoria Masters (by thesis) Scholarship (2008) from Victoria University of Wellington – New Zealand
Research publications :
- Sirisena KA, Ramirez S, Steele A & Glamoclija M (2017) Microbial diversity of hypersaline sediments from Lake Lucero playa in White Sands National Monument, New Mexico, USA. Microbial Ecology (Accepted)
- Sirisena KA, Daughney CJ, Moreau M, Sim DA, Lee CK, Cary SC, Ryan KG & Chambers GK (2017) Hydrochemistry and human impact influence bacterial diversity and predicted bacterial metabolic profiles in New Zealand groundwater. FEMS Microbiology Ecology (In review)
- Sirisena KA, Daughney CJ, Moreau M, Ryan KG & Chambers GK (2014) Relationships between Molecular Bacterial Diversity and Chemistry of Groundwater in the Wairarapa Valley, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 48: 524–539.
- Sirisena KA, Daughney CJ, Moreau‐Fournier M, Ryan KG & Chambers GK (2013) National survey of molecular bacterial diversity of New Zealand groundwater: relationships between biodiversity, groundwater chemistry and aquifer characteristics. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 86: 490–504.
- Sirisena KA, Daughney CJ, Ryan KG & Chambers GK (In preparation) Universal primers in the era of Next-Generation Sequencing. Intended for submission to Journal of Microbiological Methods
- Ramirez S, Sirisena K, Widanagamage I, Potochniak S, Zeidan M, Glamoclija M (In preparation) Shallow-Subsurface Microbial Ecology and Sediment-Groundwater Interface in Sulfate-Rich Playa at White Sands National Monument, New Mexico. Intended for submission to Microbial Ecology
- Moreau M, Zemansky G, Cameron S, Daughney CJ, Morgenstern U, White P, Gusyev M, Sirisena KA, Tschritter C, van der Raaij R, Donath F, Kmoch A & Cox S (2012) Outputs from GNS Science Research programmes, September 2012. GNS Science Letter Report No: 2012/194LR (Project No: 632GWR12)
Invited Seminar Presentations
- Sirisena KA (2016) Microbial Diversity of Gypsum Playas in New Mexico and Gypsum Containing Concretions from Svalbard. Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences Seminar Series; October 05, 2016: Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA.
- Sirisena KA (2011) National Survey of Microbial Biodiversity in New Zealand Groundwater. 50th New Zealand Hydrological Society Conference; December 06, 2011: Te Papa, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Sirisena KA (2009) Microbial Diversity in New Zealand Groundwater. SBS Evolution and Ecology Seminar Series; September 18, 2009: School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
- Glamoclija M, Steele A, Fogel ML, Sirisena KA, Ramirez S, Widanagamage IH, Waldron A, Zeidan M & Potochniak S (2017) Microbial Ecology within the Top Meter of Playa Sediments at White Sands National Monument (New Mexico). The Astrobiology Conference (AbSciCon 2017): 24–28 April 2017, Mesa, Arizona, USA. (https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/abscicon2017/pdf/3442.pdf)
- Glamoclija M, Steele A, Starke V, Zeidan M, Potochniak S, Sirisena KA, & Widanagamage IH (2016) Microbial Signatures in Sulfate-Rich Playas. Proceedings of Biosignature Preservation and Detection in Mars Analog Environments: LPI Contributions, 1912: 16-18 May 2016, Nevada, USA. (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016LPICo1912.2051G)
- Sirisena KA, Daughney CJ, Herbold CW, Lee CK, Ryan KG & Chambers GK (2012) Molecular Microbial Diversity in New Zealand Groundwater. 14th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology: 19 – 24 August 2012: Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Sirisena KA, Moreau-Fournier M, Daughney CJ, Ryan KG & Chambers GK (2012) Molecular Microbial Diversity of New Zealand Groundwater: Terminal Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism (T-RFLP) Approach. 2 nd Conference of the New Zealand Microbial Ecology Consortium: 16 – 17 February 2012: University of Auckland, New Zealand.
- Sirisena KA, Chambers GK & Daughney CJ (2010) Molecular Characterization of Bacterial Diversity in New Zealand Groundwater. Conference of the New Zealand Microbiological Society and New Zealand Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: 30 November – 03 December 2010: University of Auckland, New Zealand.
- American Society for Microbiology Young Ambassador to Sri Lanka (ASM YA)
- Reviewer – FEMS Microbiology Ecology
- Reviewer – Molecular Ecology
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member – American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Member – New Zealand Microbial Ecology Consortium (NZMEC)
- Member – Institute of Biology Sri Lanka – M.I.Biol (Sri Lanka)
- Member – Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS)
(Last updated- 9th October, 2017)