B.Sc. (Peradeniya), Ph.D.(University of Cambridge,UK)
B.Sc. – University of Peradeniya/Sri Lanka/ 2000
Ph.D. – University of Cambridge/UK/2006
Visiting scholar – Department of Materials Science and Nano
Science, Rice University, USA / 2018
Professor and Head of Department
B.Sc.(Peradeniya), Ph.D.(University of Cambridge, UK)
Research interest :
Nanotechnology for agricultural applications water purification/desalination, rubber nano-composites, encapsulation of natural/synthetic drug molecules using nanotechnology, converting natural resources into useful nano-materials.
Abayaweera, G., Amaratunga, G., Fernando, N., Karunaratne, V., Kottegoda, N. and Ekanayake, R. Method of producing Titanium from Titanium Oxide through Magnesium vapour reduction: US patent application 15/226/763, 2016. Granted March 2019
Veranja Karunaratne, Gayan Priyadarshana, Nilwala Kottegoda, Sunanda Gunasekara, Athula Senaratne, Process For Preparation Of Nanoparticles From Magnetite Ore, US 10192660B2, 29th Jan 2019.
Nilwala Kottegoda, Gayan Priyadarshane, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Damayanthi Dahanayake, Sunanda Genesekara, A J Gehan Amaratunge, Veranja Karunaratne, Composition and Method for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients, 1-2015-501297, July 2018.
Nilwala Kottegoda, Gayan Priyadarshane, Chanaka Sandaruwan, Damayanthi Dahanayake, Sunanda Genesekara, A J Gehan Amaratunge, Veranja Karunaratne, Composition and Method for Sustained Release of Agricultural Macronutrients, a continuation-in-part of U.S. application Ser. No. 12/794,741 filed June 5, 2010, US 8 696 784 B2, 15th April 2014.
Nilwala Kottegoda, Guest Editorial, Winning Back the Nation Through Chemistry, Chemistry in Sri Lanka, Jan 2019.
Nilwala Kottegoda, Nanofertilizer: Seeds of Change in Fertilizer Innovations (invited Review Article), Vidyodaya Journal of Sri Lanka, April 2019 (in press)
Wijesinghe G, Dilhari A, Gayani B, Kottegoda N, Samaranayake L, Weerasekera M. Influence of Laboratory Culture Media on In-vitro Growth, Adhesion and Biofilm Formation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus. Medical Principles and Practice. 2018 Oct.
Buddhika Gayani, Ayomi Dilhari, Gayan Wijesinghe, Sajeewani Kumarage, Sammera Samarakoon, Inoka Perera, Nilwala Kottegoda, Manjula Weerasekera, Effect of Natural Curcuminoids Intercalated Layered Double Hydroxide Nanohybrid against Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Enterococcus faecalis: A Bactericidal, Anti-biofilm and Mechanistic Study, Microbiology Open, Sep 2018.
- Fulbright fellow- Rice University, Houston USA – 2018
- Selected among the most inventive women scientists among the world – World Intellectual Property Organization 2018
- Presidential research award 2018
- National Research Council Merit Award, 2015
- University Research Award 2015
- Overseas Training Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 2015 – Visiting Fellow at Department of Chemistry, Laughbough University, UK
- National award for popularization of science 2014
- Training scholarship in the “Women in Science and Technology”, State Department, USA 2013
- Third World Academy of Science Young Scientist Award for Sri Lanka 2013
- National Science Foundation SUSRED award for supervision of MPhil 2012
- National Science and Technology Awards – Innovative Advanced Technologies with Commercial Potential 2010
- Cambridge Commonwealth Trust Scholarship 2002
- Overseas Research Students (ORS) Award- University of Cambridge 2002
- University Scholarship for the best performances at the BSc Special Degree in Chemistry 2000
- Gold Medal for the best performances at the Interuniversity Chemistry, Intelligence Test 1999
- Provost – SLINTEC Academy (2018)
- University research council representative 2015 – 2017
- Director, Advanced Materials Research Center, University of Sri Jayewardenepura 2015 – 2016
- Event coordinator International Symposium on Polymer Science and Technology 2015
- Senior Treasurer Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Science 2015-2016
- Member Board of Trusties, Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Science 2015
- Member House and Finance Committee, Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Science 2015
- President Section Chemical Sciences (E2), Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Science 2014
- Member National Mirror Committee for Nanotechnology Standards, SLSI, 2011 – 2012
- Member National Technical Committee for Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) standards, Sri Lanka Acrylidation Board 2011 – 2012
- President elect Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Science 2013
- Member American Chemical Society
- Fellow of the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust
- Fellow of the Philosophical Society- University of Cambridge
Web : http://scholar.sjp.ac.lk/nilwala
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Room : 1L028