Department of Food Science and Technology
Strategic intent of the department
To become a centre of excellence in higher learning in Food Science and Technology and Nutrition which disseminates knowledge in keeping with the development needs of the country and requirement of the region for related professionals.
Our goals and objectives
- To impart knowledge and develop skills of students on the fundamentals of science and its applications
- To uplift the quality of graduates
- To uplift the quality of teaching and research in the department Staff
- To enhance the services offered to the industry and general community .
Why is the Bsc. Degree in food science and technology important?
Food Science is the study of a coherent and systematic body of knowledge and understanding of the nature and composition of food materials, and their behavior under the various conditions to which they may be subjected. Food Technology is the application of Food Science to the practical treatment of food materials in order to convert them into food products of the kind, quality and stability that satisfy the consumer and to pack and distribute them as safe, wholesome, nutritious and attractive foods. In view of this, the degree course in Food Science and Technology provides students with a thorough grounding in all aspects of Food Science and Technology. It integrates teaching and research and presentation, offering a broad range of interdisciplinary interests and skills.
The Food Science and Technology curriculum covers the following major divisions:
- Food Biology related subjects
- Food Chemistry related subjects
- Food Physics related subjects
- Food preservation and post-harvest sciences
- Food/Crop technologies
- Food/ Animal technologies
- Food/Dairy Technology
- Nutrition, Dietetics, Food choices
- Food quality and Food Safety
- Food Business Management and Marketing
- Food Packaging.
- Maths/Computer applications and statistics
What do we look forward to achieve?
We, the department of Food Sciences and Technology, aim to provide a programme of education, which can enable its graduates to enter a career in the local and international food industry as scientists and/or technologists capable of ensuring the production and marketing of safe and quality foods. With the knowledge and skills they gain, they also can enter into employment in other sectors of the food chain or reated scientific sectors where they can apply their scientific skills.