Prof. L.D.C. Peiris
B.Sc.(Colombo), Ph.D (UK)
- Ph. D., University of Sheffield, UK (Molecular Biology, invitro fertilization and toxicology)
- B. Sc. (Special) degree in Zoology, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Diploma in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Genetech, Colombo
- Project management, Langara College, Vancouver, Canada
- Diploma in child psychology
- Top reviewer in Publons’ global Peer Review Awards 2018, 2017 Awarded to top 1% of peer reviewers
- 2021- Silver medal 2021 – young innovator award for our project on the isolation of novel compound from marine brown alga: Chnoospora minima
- 2021-Outstanding Scientist Award for Women- International Scientist on Engineering, Science, & Medicine. Chennai, India
- 2020- A prize for the best paper published in the journal 2020 This was awarded by the journal to only one paper published in Gender & Genome in 2019
- 2019 – UJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publications
- 2018- UJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publications
- 2017- UJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publications
- 2017- Presidential awards for Scientific Publications
- 2017- USJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publication
- 2016- USJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publication
- 2015- USJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publication
- 2010- MITACS Accelerate Internship competitive award given by University of British Columbia for an outstanding post-doctoral fellow
- 2005- Best Poster award, GIDRU conference, Banff, Canada.
- 2017- Travel awarded by Hans Raj Mahila Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar, Punjab, India
- 2015- Travel award- National Science Foundation to present research findings in Dubai, UAE
- 2010- Travel award – Auto 21, Canada
- 2006- Travel award – GIDRU, Queens, University Canada
- 3003- Travel award – Sweden International Development cooperation Agency, Sweden
- 1992- Keerithisinghe Memorial Award for the Best Student in Zoology, University of Colombo
Scholarships / Fellowships:
- 2008- AUTO-21 Network of Centers of Excellence, Fellowship, Auto-21 Network of Centers of Excellence, Ontario, Canada.
- 2004- GIDRU Fellowship for Physiology Research, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
- 1995- Open Commonwealth Scholarship,The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, UK
- Quality assurance cell coordinator – Faculty of Applied Sciences, USJP
- Student Councillor – Faculty of Applied Sciences, USJP
- Coordinator – Whiplash Prevention Campaign funded by AUTO 21 and University of British Columbia
- Past MSc coordinator – Environmental Science – Dept. of Zoology, University of Colombo
- Herbal medicine / alternative therapy including cancer research, anti-inflammatory, diabetes, antimicrobial, etc.
- Molecular mechanisms and pathways
- Regulation of secretion of BMP-2 and the BMP antagonist Noggin by Calcium-Sensing.
- Receptor (CaSR) in colonic myofibroblasts. (2005-2006)- Funded by Dairy Framers of Canada. Gastro-intestinal Research unit, Dept. of Physiology, Queen’s University, Ontario, Canada
- Ihh; a new and potent agonist against Calcium-Sensing Receptor (2004-2006)- Funded by GIDRU Training Grant. Gastro-intestinal Division, Hotel Deu Hospital, Ontario, Canada
- An investigation of habitat and species relationships in aquatic environments at Bundala National Park (2000 – 2002) -Funded by university Grant Commission, Sri Lanka.
Collaborative Research Projects:
- DNA bar-coding and Biomarker development of Indian Pangolin (Manis crassicaudata) found in Sri Lanka: Forensic and Taxonomical perspective. Collaborating with Faculty of Technology and University of Colombo
- Development of efficient drug delivery system using polysaccharide based nanoparticles from Sri Lankan Marine Algae for anti- cancer therapy. Collaborating with ITI, SLINTEC, UK, Saudi Arabia – ongoing
- Anticancer, antidiabetic, immunomodulatory effects and molecular characterization of compounds isolated from selected marine algae from Sri Lanka. Collaborating with ITI, SLINTEC, UK, Saudi Arabia- ongoing
- Evaluation of anticancer and antiproliferative activities of aqueous leaf extract and fractionated compounds of ethnomedically important plant Passiflora subersoa L. using different cancer cell lines –Collaborating with SLINTEC, UK, and University of Colombo. ongoing
- Phytochemical screening and oral hypoglycaemic activity of aqueous leaf extraction of Nyctanthus arbor-tristis. on humans (clinical trial) – Collaborating with Ayurveda faculty. ongoing
- Anti diabetic effects of Passiflora suberosa. Clinical human trial collaborating with Ayurveda Faculty, University of Colombo
- Characterization of Molecular biomarkers of the earthworms inhabiting in cadmium contaminated soils of Sri Lanka. –Celebrating with University of Ruhuna, and University of Colombo. ongoing
- Reducing whiplash injury from rear end impacts (2010-2011) – Collaborated with Faculty of Engineering, Paediatrics, Community Medicine. University of British Columbia.
- Prevention: Reducing Occupant Injury in Rear-end Collisions (2008-2012)- Funded by AUTO-21 Network of Centers of Excellence, Ontario, Canada.
- Mechanisms of sperm storage (2000-2004) Funded by National Research Council, Colombo, Sri Lanka. “Investigation of mechanism/s in mammalian sperm storage in the cauda epididymis”.
Determination of antimicrobial activities of Spilanthes paniculata L. plant extracts in controlling microbes on food contact surfaces and its mechanism of action. Collaborating with Food science and dept of Botany
A WGS derived genomic contig analysis of putative angiotensinogen Teleost Sebastes schlegelli a triage of in silico analysis, molecular cloning and response study to immune and injury challenges. Collaborating with Dept of Molecular biology, University of Peradeniya, and University of Colombo
- SLAAS award for the project best undergraduate project supervised for The project titled “Phytochemistry, antioxidant, cytotoxicity, antimicrobial and antidiabetic activities of methanol and aqueous root bark extracts of Plumbago indica L.2015- UJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publications
- Council Member, IOB – 2020-2021
- Senior Treasurer, Institute of Biology- 2018
- President, SLAAS section D – 2018- to date
- Faculty co-ordinator,Quality assurance cell – 2018
- Dept. of Zoology Biology Coordinator, Dept. of Zoology, Faculty of Applied Sciences – 2017
- Council Member, Institute of Biology- 2017
- Vice President, SLAAS section D – 2017
- Co-Chairman, 2nd International Conference on Bioscience & biotechnology conference 2017 (held in March 9 & 10) – Taj Samudra Colombo- 2017
- Secretary, SLAAS Ethics Committee – 2017
- Student Counsellor, Faculty of Applied Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura – 2015
- Secretary, SLAAS section D – 2016
- Advisory Board Member, Scientific Society of Advance Research & Social Change – 2016
- Session chairs in many international/national conferences – 2015,2016,2017,2018
- Rapporteur, SLAAS section D – 2015
- PhD – Determination of antimicrobial activities of Spilanthes paniculata plant extracts in controlling microbes on food contact surfaces and its mechanism of action – Ongoing
- PhD – anticancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic activities of selected marine algae- Ongoing
- MSc- Gene cloning and expression of immune gene from rock fish – Ongoing
- Mphil – Identification of Megascolax species from cadmium inhabiting soil and expression of metalathione gene in earthworms inhabiting different cadmium contaminated soils. – Ongoing
- PhD- Anticancer activity of fractionated and isolated compounds of suberosa.-Ongoing
- Mphil – Sperm Storage in the epididymis – Completed
- Mphil – Environmental Relationships in Bundala National Park – Completed
- LanBix2021 “Translational Bioinformatics in Precision Medicine”. 19th March 2021
- International Conference on Herbal remedies for boosting immunity and ameliorate stress in the present scenario. Organized by School of Pharmacy, Choukesy Group of Colleges, Chhattisgarh, India. 17th January 2020.
Contribution to National Development (recent):
- Elected Council member – Institute of Biology – 2017-2018
- Keynote address at “International Conference on Recent Advances for Quality – 2017 Enhancement in Science & Technology” at Hans Raj Mahila Maha Vidyalaya, Punjab, India
- A/L Animal Physiology seminar – For year 12 and 13 Biology students at 2017 Ananda College, Colombo 10 on March 29th
- Co-chair address on Molecular biology for innovative knowledge – 2017
- President elect, SLAAS Section D – 2017
- Secretary SLAAS – Ethics Committee – 2017
- Organized a workshop on Bioinformatics and System Biology at Faculty of 2017 Applied Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura with foreign collaboration
- CO/Chair at 2nd International Conference on Bioscience & Biotechnology – 2017
- Secretary, SLAAS Section D- 2016
- Biology A/L seminar for A/L students in Ampara, Colombo, Kandy, Batticaloa districts 2016
- Reporter, SLAAS Section D – 2015
- Conducted a workshop for Alumni association of Peradeniya University 2015 (Colombo Chapter)
- Conducted a workshop on “Practical aspects of Animal Diversity for – 2015, 2017 Kollonnawa Balika Vidyalaya A/L Biology Students
* I have chaired many conference sessions at different local and international conferences.
News paper articles:
- Oral cancer- Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, Published by Upali Newspapers Ltd. 2016
- Bitter truth about fruits in the market – An English article featured in The Island News Paper Published by Upali Newspapers Lit. 5th October, 2015
- Oba Aharayata ganna palathuru pilibandawa dena gatha uthu dea. Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, published by Upali Newspapers Limited. September 16, 2015.
- Sepalika Mal Saraya Diyawediyawata Gunai – Miyan Esuren kala parikshanayakin sanatha karai” (Sepalika flowers as a remedy for diabetes – proved by an experiment conducted on Sepalika flowers). Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, published by Upali Newspapers Limited. January 21, 2015.
- Palibodaka Nashaka Minisage Saru Bawayata balapayda? (Will pesticides affect fertility of Man?)”– A Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, published by Upali News Papers Limited. March 18, 2015.
Editorial and Reviewer functions:
- Journal of Toxicology and Industrial Health – 2017
- Editor Proceedings for 2nd International conference on Bioscience & Biotechnology – 2017
- British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research – 2015 to date
- Journal of Applied Science International – 2015 to date
- Blood research and Reviews – 2015 to date
- Journal of Biology and Nature -2015 to date
- European Journal of Medicinal Plants -2015 to date
- British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research -2015 to date
*I have reviewed many abstracts for different local conferences.
- Natural medicine as a therapy for renal carcinoma: A review- Book chapter in Renal Cell Carcinoma (2016). SM Group of Publishing, DE, USA.
- Reproductive health education: Biological aspect (2016)- Godage Brothers, Colombo 10 Laboratory manual in Comparative Anatomy (2015) – Sadeepa publishers, Colombo 08
- Lab Manual in Physiology (2004). Department of Zoology, University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Membership in Professional Societies:
- Fellow member – Scientific Society of Advanced Research and Social Change
- Life Member, Canadian Association of Gastroenterology
- Member – Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), North America
- Steering Committee Member; Whiplash Prevention Campaign, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Advisory Board Member; Scientific Society of Advance Research & Social Change, India
- Life Member, Young Scientist Forum, Sri Lanka
- Life Member, Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka
- Life Member – Sri Lanka Association for the advancement of science section D
- Life Member, Society for the study of fertility, UK
(Last updated 18th May, 2021)