Prof. L.D.C. Peiris
B.Sc.(Colombo), Ph.D (UK)
- Ph. D., University of Sheffield, UK (Molecular Biology, invitro fertilization and toxicology)
- B. Sc. (Special) degree in Zoology, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Diploma in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Genetech, Colombo
- Project management, Langara College, Vancouver, Canada
- Diploma in child psychology
- 2015- Presidential awards for Scientific Publications
- 2017- USJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publication
- 2016- USJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publication
- 2015- USJP Research Awards for Science Citation indexed journal publication
- 2010- MITACS Accelerate Internship competitive award given by University of British Columbia for an outstanding post-doctoral fellow
- 2005- Best Poster award, GIDRU conference, Banff, Canada.
- 2017- Travel awarded by Hans Raj Mahila Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar, Punjab, India
- 2015- Travel award- National Science Foundation to present research findings in Dubai, UAE
- 2010- Travel award – Auto 21, Canada
- 2006- Travel award – GIDRU, Queens, University Canada
- 3003- Travel award – Sweden International Development cooperation Agency, Sweden
- 1992- Keerithisinghe Memorial Award for the Best Student in Zoology, University of Colombo
Scholarships / Fellowships:
- 2008- AUTO-21 Network of Centers of Excellence, Fellowship, Auto-21 Network of Centers of Excellence, Ontario, Canada.
- 2004- GIDRU Fellowship for Physiology Research, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
- 1995- Open Commonwealth Scholarship,The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, UK
- Quality assurance cell coordinator – Faculty of Applied Sciences, USJP
- Student Councillor – Faculty of Applied Sciences, USJP
- Coordinator – Whiplash Prevention Campaign funded by AUTO 21 and University of British Columbia
- Past MSc coordinator – Environmental Science – Dept. of Zoology, University of Colombo
- Herbal medicine / alternative therapy including cancer research, anti-inflammatory, diabetes, antimicrobial, etc.
- Molecular mechanisms and pathways
- Regulation of secretion of BMP-2 and the BMP antagonist Noggin by Calcium-Sensing.
- Receptor (CaSR) in colonic myofibroblasts. (2005-2006)- Funded by Dairy Framers of Canada. Gastro-intestinal Research unit, Dept. of Physiology, Queen’s University, Ontario, Canada
- Ihh; a new and potent agonist against Calcium-Sensing Receptor (2004-2006)- Funded by GIDRU Training Grant. Gastro-intestinal Division, Hotel Deu Hospital, Ontario, Canada
- An investigation of habitat and species relationships in aquatic environments at Bundala National Park (2000 – 2002) -Funded by university Grant Commission, Sri Lanka.
Collaborative Research Projects:
- Development of efficient drug delivery system using polysaccharide based nanoparticles from Sri Lankan Marine Algae for anti- cancer therapy. Collaborating with ITI, SLINTEC, UK, Saudi Arabia – ongoing
- Anticancer, antidiabetic, immunomodulatory effects and molecular characterization of compounds isolated from selected marine algae from Sri Lanka. Collaborating with ITI, SLINTEC, UK, Saudi Arabia- ongoing
- Evaluation of anticancer and antiproliferative activities of aqueous leaf extract and fractionated compounds of ethnomedically important plant Passiflora subersoa L. using different cancer cell lines –Collaborating with SLINTEC, UK, and University of Colombo. ongoing
- Phytochemical screening and oral hypoglycaemic activity of aqueous leaf extraction of Nyctanthus arbor-tristis. on humans (clinical trial) – Collaborating with Ayurveda faculty. ongoing
- Anti diabetic effects of Passiflora suberosa. Clinical human trial collaborating with Ayurveda Faculty, University of Colombo
- Characterization of Molecular biomarkers of the earthworms inhabiting in cadmium contaminated soils of Sri Lanka. –Celebrating with University of Ruhuna, and University of Colombo. ongoing
- Reducing whiplash injury from rear end impacts (2010-2011) – Collaborated with Faculty of Engineering, Paediatrics, Community Medicine. University of British Columbia.
- Prevention: Reducing Occupant Injury in Rear-end Collisions (2008-2012)- Funded by AUTO-21 Network of Centers of Excellence, Ontario, Canada.
- Mechanisms of sperm storage (2000-2004) Funded by National Research Council, Colombo, Sri Lanka. “Investigation of mechanism/s in mammalian sperm storage in the cauda epididymis”.
Determination of antimicrobial activities of Spilanthes paniculata L. plant extracts in controlling microbes on food contact surfaces and its mechanism of action. Collaborating with Food science and dept of Botany
A WGS derived genomic contig analysis of putative angiotensinogen Teleost Sebastes schlegelli a triage of in silico analysis, molecular cloning and response study to immune and injury challenges. Collaborating with Dept of Molecular biology, University of Peradeniya, and University of Colombo
Research publications (past 10 years):
- Dhanushka T. Peiris Dinithi C. (2017). Low doses of Chlorpyrifos interfered with spermatogenesis of male Wistar rats through reduction of sex hormones. Journal of Pollution Research. Volume 24,Issue 26, pp 20859–20867 DOI 10.1007/s11356-017-9617-x
- Dhanushka MAT, Peiris L Dinithi C (2017). Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity effects of acephate on human sperm. Hindawi Journal of Toxicology, Volume 2017, Article ID 3874817.
- Sudasinghe SAHP, Peiris Dinithi C. (2017). Assessment of hypoglycemic and cholesterol reducing activity from aqueous leaf extract from Passiflora suberosa Submitted to BMC complementary and alternative medicine.
- Kudavidanage EP, Peiris Dinithi (2016). Exposure of Judo 40 alters DNA integrity and function of human spermatozoa. EPRA International Journal of Multidisciplinary research. 2(9):12-19.
- Dayananda PV, Peiris L Dinithi C (2016). Morphological and functional alterations of human spermatozoa after incubation with two organophosphorus insecticides. Wulfenia Journal. 23(10):1-9.
- Dyananda PV, Peiris L. Dinithi C (2016). Toxic effects of Tebufenozide on human sperm in vitro. International Journal of Advanced Scientific Research. 5(6): 61-72.
- Peiris Dinithi C, Jayatilleka H, Dhanushka T. (2015). Evaluation of aqueous leaf extract of Cardiospermum halicacabum (L.) on fertility of male rats. Biomed Central International Research 2015; Article ID: 175726,
- Rangika, BS, Dayananda D. Peiris LDC (2015). Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic activities of aqueous extract of flowers from Nyctanthes arbor-tristis L. in mice. BMC complementary and Alternative Medicine. 15 (289); Article ID: 1186/s12906-015-0807-0.
- Desapriya E, Giulia S, Subzwari S, Peiris DC, Turcotte K, Pike I, Sasges D, Hewapathirane DS (2014). Does Obesity Increase the Risk of Injury or Mortality in Motor Vehicle Crashes? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Asia Pacific J Public Health 26 (5):447-60
- Desapriya, E., Kerr, JM., Hewapathirane, DS., Peiris, D., Mann, B., Gomes, N., Peiris, K., Scime, G., Jones., J (2012). Bull bars and vulnerable road users. Traffic Inj Prev 13(1): 86-92
- Akalanka EC, Fujiwara T, Desapriya E, Peiris LDC, Scime G. (2012) Sociodemographic Factors Associated with Aggressive Driving Behaviors of 3-Wheeler Taxi Drivers in Sri Lanka. Asia Pac J Public Health. 24(1):91-103
- Desapriya, E, Hewapathirane, DE, Peiris, D, Romilly, D, White, M. (2011). Baseline knowledge on vehicle safety and head restraints among Fleet Managers in British Columbia Canada: a pilot study. J Can Chiropr Assoc 55(3): 174-82
- Wanniarachchi, K., Peiris, L. D.C., Ratnasooriya, W.D., (2009) Anti-hyperglycaemic and hypoglycaemic activities of Phyllanthus debilis L. aqueous plant extract in mice. Pharmaceutical Biology: 47: 260-265
- Peiris, D., Pacheco, I., Spencer, C., & MacLeod, R.J., (2007) The Extracellular Calcium-Sensing Receptor (CaSR) reciprocally regulates secretion of BMP-2 and the BMP antagonist Noggin in colonic myofibroblasts. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292: G753-G766.
- Peiris, L.D.C., & Moore, H.D.M., (2001) Effects of acute and chronic doses of methoxy acetic acid on hamster sperm fertilizing ability Asian Journal of Andrology. 3: 209 – 216
- Peiris, L.D.C., & Moore, H.D.M., (2001) Evaluation of effects of 1,3-dinitrobenzene on sperm motility of hamster using computer assisted semen analysis (CASA) Asian Journal of Andrology 3: 109-114.
Abstracts (Past 10 years):
- Bandara K.R.V., Padumadasa C., Peiris L.D.C. (2017). Biological evaluation of different extract from Passiflora suberosa L Leaves. The International Journal of Arts and Sciences’ (IJAS) academic conference. May 29 – June 1. Catania, Sicily.
- Peiris Dinithi (2017). Advances in use of less toxic therapy for cancer treatment. Two day international conference on Recent Advances for Quality Management in Science & Technology, January 16-17, Jaipur, India. P4.
- Bandara K.R.V., Padumadasa C., Peiris L.D.C. (2016). Antioxidant and Cytotoxic Activities of Passiflora Suberosa Leaf Extracts. 21st Forestry and environment symposium 2016, Heritance Kanadalama, September 23-24, Dambulla Sri Lanka. P66.
- Bandara K.R.V., Padumadasa C., Peiris L.D.C. (2016). Phytochemical Screening and Antimicrobial Activity of Extracts from Passiflora Suberosa Leaves. 21st Forestry and environment symposium 2016, Heritance Kanadalama, September 23-24, Dambulla Sri Lanka. P. 68.
- Jayathilake T.A.H.D.G., De Silva P.M.C.S., Peiris L.D.C. (2016). Assessment of geneotixicty of two Cadmium Salts in Eisenia Andrei (Andre 1963) using the Comet assay. Mutlidisciplinary symposium 2016, Palm Beach hotel, September 23-24, Marawila Sri Lanka P 110.
- Jayathilake T.A.H.D.G., Mallawaarachchi M.A.G.D., De Silva P.M.C.S., Peiris L.D.C. (2016). Acute and Chronic Toxicity of Selected Cadmium Salts on Earthworm Eisenia Andrei under Tropical Conditions. 21st Forestry and environment symposium 2016, Heritance Kanadalama, September 23-24, Dambulla Sri Lanka P 20.
- Sudasinghe SAJP, Peiris Dinithi C. (2015). Possible alternative medicine of diabetes. 1st Global Summit on Herbal and Natural Remedies, October 26-26, Chicago, USA.
- Sudasinghe SAJP, Peiris L.Dinithi C. (2015). Hypoglycaemic effect of aqueous leaf extract of Passiflora suberosa in normal mice: possible mechanisms of action. Proceedings of 71st Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka Advancement of Science. 404/D: P. 48.
- Sudasinghe SAJP, Peiris Dinithi C. (2015). Session I -Biodiversity Conservation and Management Effects of Aqueous Leaf Extract of Passiflora suberosa L. on Blood Glucose Levels of Male Mice. International Forestry Symposium. 20th October, Negambo, Sri Lanka p16.
- Peiris L Dinithi C, Chaturanga TC (2015). Exposure of male Wistar rats to commercially available ethrel: Short term, long-term effects and recovery. J of Clinical Toxicology 4th Global Summit of Toxicology, Philadelphia, USA. 5: 3
- ,Chaturanga TC, Peiris L Dinithi C (2015). Exposure of male Wistar rats to commercially available ethrel: Short term, long term effects and recovery. Proceedings of International Conference on Multidisciplinary. June 24, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Rangika, BS, Peiris LDC (2014). Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of aqueous flower extract from Nycanthes arbor-tristis Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology Vol:2, No:10 2014
- Danushka TD. Peiris LDC (2014). Proceedings of 57th Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka Advancement of Science. P 202.
- Desapriya, E.B.R., Dutt, N., Wijerathne, H., Peiris, D., White, M.I. (2010). Paediatric eye injuries treated at BC Children’s hospital 2001-2007. BC Injury Prevention Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada. November 8-9.
- Peiris, D., Desapriya, E.B.R., Romilly, D.P., White, M.I. (2010). Assessment of the Effectiveness of a Brief Intervention to Increase Knowledge and Awareness of Whiplash and Available Prevention Measures in a BC-Pilot Study Related to AUTO21 Whiplash Campaign. BC Injury Prevention Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada. November 8-9.
- Romilly, D.P., Luk, H., Xing, P., Peiris, D., Desapriya, E.B.R., White, M.I. (2010). BC Whiplash Prevention Initiative: Observational Study of Head Restraint Use Protocol Development and Results. BC Injury Prevention Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada. November 8-9.
- White, M.I., Desapriya, E.B.R., Romilly, D.P., Hyde, T., Atashband, S., Peiris, D. (2010). Prevention is possible: BC Whiplash Prevention Campaign. BC Injury Research and Prevention Conference, Vancouver, BC, Nov.
- Zirak, N., Ko, D., Peiris, D., Romilly, D.P., Lawrence, P. (2010). A402: Prevention: Reducing the Risk of Occupant Injury in Rear End Collisions, Capacitance-Based Automatic Head-to-Head Restraint Detection. APMA/AUTO21 Scientific Conference, Windsor, Ontario, BC, Canada, June 7-11
- White, M.I., Desapriya, E., Romilly, D.P., Snowdon, A., Mang, D., Hyde, T., Peiris, L.D.C., Atashband, S. (2010) The Whiplash Prevention Campaign: Social marketing approaches to reduce neck injuries arising from motor vehicle collisions. Proc. of Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference-XX. Niagara Falls, Ontario, June 6-9.
- MacLeod, R.J., Peiris, D. & Pacheco, I. (2007 – Indian hedgehog (Ihh) – A new potent agonist of the extracellular calcium-sensing receptor (CaSR): Evidence of a feed-forward cycle in the colon. Annual meeting of Digestive disease week, Washington, USA. Gasteroenterology, 132 (4), A630 2007
- Peiris, L.D.C., Pacheco, I., Spencer, C. & MacLeod, R.J. (2006) – Regulated bmp-2 secretion from colonic myofibroblasts mediated by the extracellular calcium-sensing receptor (CaR) promotes intestinal epithelial barrier development. POSTER OF EXCELLENCE. 44th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology, Banff, Alberta. 5
- Peiris, L.D.C., Pacheco, I., Duwel, L., Benoit, L. Spencer, C. & MacLeod, R.J. (2006) – Indian Hedgehog (IHH) – A new potent agonist of the extracellular calcium-sensing receptor (CaR): Evidence of a feed forward cycle in colon.. 44th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology, Banff, Alberta. 35
- Pacheco, I., Peiris, L.D.C., Spencer, C. & MacLeod, R.J. (2006) – Colonic extracellular calcium-sensing receptor (CaR) inhibits proliferation by stimulating Wnt 5A and SIAH2. 44th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology, Banff, Alberta. 27
- Pacheco, I., Peiris, L.D.C., Spencer, C. & MacLeod, R.J. (2006) – Extracellular calcium-sensing receptor (CaR) stimulated IL-11 secretion from colonic myofibroblasts which stimulates repair of damaged intestinal barrier. 44th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology, Banff, Alberta. 59.
- Peiris, L.D.C., Macleod R.J. & Spencer C. (2005) – Extra cellular calcium sensing receptor (CaR) mediated secretion of bone morphogenetic proteins-2 increase intestinal epithelial barrier capacity. The 8th Annual Scientific meeting for Health Science Research trainees. May 31st 2005, Queens’ University.
- PhD – Determination of antimicrobial activities of Spilanthes paniculata plant extracts in controlling microbes on food contact surfaces and its mechanism of action – Ongoing
- PhD – anticancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic activities of selected marine algae- Ongoing
- MSc- Gene cloning and expression of immune gene from rock fish – Ongoing
- Mphil – Identification of Megascolax species from cadmium inhabiting soil and expression of metalathione gene in earthworms inhabiting different cadmium contaminated soils. – Ongoing
- PhD- Anticancer activity of fractionated and isolated compounds of suberosa.-Ongoing
- Mphil – Sperm Storage in the epididymis – Completed
- Mphil – Environmental Relationships in Bundala National Park – Completed
Contribution to National Development (recent):
- Elected Council member – Institute of Biology – 2017-2018
- Keynote address at “International Conference on Recent Advances for Quality – 2017 Enhancement in Science & Technology” at Hans Raj Mahila Maha Vidyalaya, Punjab, India
- A/L Animal Physiology seminar – For year 12 and 13 Biology students at 2017 Ananda College, Colombo 10 on March 29th
- Co-chair address on Molecular biology for innovative knowledge – 2017
- President elect, SLAAS Section D – 2017
- Secretary SLAAS – Ethics Committee – 2017
- Organized a workshop on Bioinformatics and System Biology at Faculty of 2017 Applied Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura with foreign collaboration
- CO/Chair at 2nd International Conference on Bioscience & Biotechnology – 2017
- Secretary, SLAAS Section D- 2016
- Biology A/L seminar for A/L students in Ampara, Colombo, Kandy, Batticaloa districts 2016
- Reporter, SLAAS Section D – 2015
- Conducted a workshop for Alumni association of Peradeniya University 2015 (Colombo Chapter)
- Conducted a workshop on “Practical aspects of Animal Diversity for – 2015, 2017 Kollonnawa Balika Vidyalaya A/L Biology Students
* I have chaired many conference sessions at different local and international conferences.
News paper articles:
- Oral cancer- Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, Published by Upali Newspapers Ltd. 2016
- Bitter truth about fruits in the market – An English article featured in The Island News Paper Published by Upali Newspapers Lit. 5th October, 2015
- Oba Aharayata ganna palathuru pilibandawa dena gatha uthu dea. Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, published by Upali Newspapers Limited. September 16, 2015.
- Sepalika Mal Saraya Diyawediyawata Gunai – Miyan Esuren kala parikshanayakin sanatha karai” (Sepalika flowers as a remedy for diabetes – proved by an experiment conducted on Sepalika flowers). Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, published by Upali Newspapers Limited. January 21, 2015.
- Palibodaka Nashaka Minisage Saru Bawayata balapayda? (Will pesticides affect fertility of Man?)”– A Sinhala featured article in “Vidusara” Science Magazine, published by Upali News Papers Limited. March 18, 2015.
Editorial and Reviewer functions:
- Journal of Toxicology and Industrial Health – 2017
- Editor Proceedings for 2nd International conference on Bioscience & Biotechnology – 2017
- British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research – 2015 to date
- Journal of Applied Science International – 2015 to date
- Blood research and Reviews – 2015 to date
- Journal of Biology and Nature -2015 to date
- European Journal of Medicinal Plants -2015 to date
- British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research -2015 to date
*I have reviewed many abstracts for different local conferences.
- Natural medicine as a therapy for renal carcinoma: A review- Book chapter in Renal Cell Carcinoma (2016). SM Group of Publishing, DE, USA.
- Reproductive health education: Biological aspect (2016)- Godage Brothers, Colombo 10 Laboratory manual in Comparative Anatomy (2015) – Sadeepa publishers, Colombo 08
- Lab Manual in Physiology (2004). Department of Zoology, University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Membership in Professional Societies:
- Fellow member – Scientific Society of Advanced Research and Social Change
- Life Member, Canadian Association of Gastroenterology
- Member – Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), North America
- Steering Committee Member; Whiplash Prevention Campaign, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Advisory Board Member; Scientific Society of Advance Research & Social Change, India
- Life Member, Young Scientist Forum, Sri Lanka
- Life Member, Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka
- Life Member – Sri Lanka Association for the advancement of science section D
- Life Member, Society for the study of fertility, UK
(Last updated 9th October, 2017)