Dr. Kamal Ranatunga (R R M K P Ranatunga)
B.Sc. Hons (USJP), Ph.D. (JCU, Australia)
Senior Lecturer (Gr. I)
- PhD in Marine Biology, School of Marine Biology and Tropical Ecology James Cook University, Australia – 2008
- BSc (Special) degree in Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka – 1998
- PADI open water diver
- Senior Lecturer (Grade I), Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura -since 2015
- Senior Lecturer (Grade II), Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura -since 2008
- Research Fellow, Reef fish ageing Laboratory, James Cook University, Australia -2006-2007
- Lecturer (Probationary), Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura – since 18th January 2001
- Lecturer (on Contract)( 01-09-1999 – 17-01-2001)
- Demonstrator (Teaching Assistant) ( 01-07-1998 – 31-08-1999)
- Award to persuade postgraduate studies under Science and Technology Personnel Development Program, Ministry of Science and Technology
- Travel award, 9th International Conference on Marine Bio invasions, Sydney Australia (January, 2016)
- Travel award to attend Yeosu International Ocean Forum – October 2016, KIOST/EXPO 2012 Yeosu Korea Foundation, Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries, South Korea.
Administrative and other positions:
- Deputy Proctor, Faculty of Applied Sciences
- Course Coordinator – MSc in Fisheries & Aquatic Resources Mgt – 2009 – 2016
- Member of the Life Science Study Board, Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Member of the Multidisciplinary Study Board, Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Academic Counsellor, Department of Zoology
- Industrial Training Advisor, Department of Zoology
- Coordinator – International Training Program on Wildlife and Primate Conservation, Faculty of Graduate Studies – since 2015.
Recent key National level involvements:
- Member of the committee and Leader in the Fisheries and Oceans sector, experts appointed by the President to formulate the National Sustainable Development Vision of Sri Lanka -2030 (2017)
- Member of the Admission, Accreditation, and Quality Assurance Council of the Ocean University of Sri Lanka -2017-21.
- Expert Committee member – Assessment of actual impacts due to energy production in Sri Lanka, Public Utilities Commission Sri Lanka (PUCSL) – since 2016
- Principal Investigator – Expo 2012 YEOSU Korea Foundation sponsored project on “Building Capacity to Manage Marine Debris in Sri Lanka”, in collaboration with Marine Environmental Projection Authority: 2015 -2017
- Member of the expert team for Pre-entry risk assessment – Project on “Strengthening capacity to control introduction and spread of Invasive Species in Sri Lanka” of the Biodiversity Secretariat -2017
- Advisor and Member of the Progress Monitoring Committee – Establishment of Marine Environmental Baseline Information Network, Petroleum Resources Development Secretariat (PRDS) – Since 2015
- Member of the expert panel (and Chairperson for subcommittee for Biodiversity)-Sri Lanka Council for Agricultural Research Policy (CARP) to develop national policy in fisheries research – Since 2015
- National Project Leader – Port Biological Baseline Survey conducted by Marine Environmental Protection Authority: 2013-1016
Present research projects
- Marine Invasive Alien Species through ballast water and ship hull fouling
- Potential marine Pollution by beached and submerged marine debris
- Antifouling properties of some marine invertebrates
- Port Biological Baseline Survey for non-native species
Collaborative Research Projects
- Capacity building to manage marine debris in Sri Lanka – In collaboration with Marine Environment Protection Authority, Sri Lanka; and Korea Maritime Institute, Ocean Research Institute and Marine Tech Engineers of South Korea – Financial support from 2012 Yeosu Korea Foundation.
- Port biological baseline surveys in collaboration with Marine Environment Protection Authority.
- De Silva, D.P.N., Fernando, H.S.D., Ranatunga, R.R.M.K.P., De Silva, B.G.D.N.K., 2017. First record of plerocercoid larvae belong to the order Trypanorhyncha (Diesing 1863) isolated from swordfish (Xiphias gladius, Linnaeus 1758) captured off Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka J. Aquat. Sci. 22, 67. doi:10.4038/sljas.v22i1.7518
- Jang, Y C, Ranatunga R R M K P *, Jin Yong Mok, Kyung Shin Kim, Su Yeon Hong, Young Rae Choi, A J M Gunasekara (2017). Composition and abundance of marine debris stranded in beaches of Sri Lanka: Results from the first island-wide survey, Marine Pollution Bulletin (Accepted)
- Marasinghe, M M K I, Ranatunga R R M K P, A.A.C., 2017. First record of an invasive bryozoan Watersipora subtorquata ( d â€TM Orbigny , 1852 ) in Colombo Port, Sri Lanka. Bioligical Invasion Records (Accepted)
- Wijethilake, D., Ranatunga R R M K P, (2015). Dinoflagellate Cyst Assemblage and Marine
- Sediment Characteristics of Colombo Port, Sri Lanka, International Conference on Chemical, Environmental and Biological Sciences (CEBS-2015) March 18-19, 2015 Dubai (UAE), http://dx.doi.org/10.15242/IICBE.C0315003
- Siyambalapitiya, SCD., and Ranatunga RRMKP (2010). Plankton composition and potential of contaminating alien species via ballast water discharge in Colombo harbour. Proceedings of the 15th International Forestry and Environment Symposium, Colombo, Sri Lanka. http://journals.sjp.ac.lk/index.php/fesympo/article/view/159
- Senanayake, S.A.M.A.I.K, R.R.M.P.K. Ranathunga, A.J.M. Gunasekara and N. Priyadarshana (2010). The occurrence of plankton species in ballast water of ships visiting Colombo harbour, Proceedings of the 15th International Forestry and Environment Symposium, Colombo, Sri Lanka. https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Senanayake%2C+S.A.M.A.I.K&oq=
- Wijetunge, D.S., Ranatunga, R., 2012. Zooplankton Assemblage in Hambanota Port and Adjacent Coastal Waters of Sri Lanka. Vidyodaya J. Sci.. https://vjs.sljol.info/articles/abstract/6037/
- Ranatunga, R.R.M.K.P. (1999). A Preliminary Studies on Fish Production in Relation of Primary Production of the Western Coastal Waters in Sri Lanka. Vidyodaya Journal of Science, 8, 161-171. http://dr.lib.sjp.ac.lk/handle/123456789/867
- R R M K P Ranatunga, Marasinghe M M K I, Anil A C (2017). Non-indigenous marine species threatening our ports: Are we ready to tackle them?. Proceedings of the National Symposium on Invasive Alien Species, Jan 2017, Waters Edge, Colombo.
- R R M K P Ranatunga, Ruvini Weerasinghe, J A C Prasad, Ravindra Pethiyagoda (2016). Are Sri Lankan reefs losing the resilience? An example from coral reefs in Sallitive Island. Proceedings of the 21st International Forestry and Environment Symposium, Kandalama, Sri Lanka.
- Marasinghe M M K I, Ranatunga R R M K P*, Anil A C. Bryozoans species composition in Colombo Port with a description of two new species, Proceedings of the 21st International Forestry and Environment Symposium, Kandalama, Sri Lanka.
- Marasinghe M M K I, Ranatunga R R M K P, Anil A C, Weerasinghe R L (2016). First Record of an Invasive Encrusting Bryozoan, Watersipora subtorquata in Colombo Port, 9th International Conference on Marine Bioinvasions, 19-21 January, 2016, Sydney, Australia.
- R.R.M.K.P. Ranathunaga and P.D.R.S Pethiyagoda (2015). Spatial distribution and species composition of sea grasses in Mannar Lagoon Proceedings of the 20th International Forestry and Environment Symposium, Waikkala, Sri Lanka.
- C. Siriwardhana and R.R.M.K.P Ranatunge (2015). Growth of Acropora formosa fragments in In-situ coral nurseries at Polhena reef, Matara, Sri Lanka, Proceedings of the 20th International Forestry and Environment Symposium, Waikkala, Sri Lanka.
- M.M.K.I. Marasinghe, R.R.M.K.P. Ranatunga, A.C. Anil and R.L. Weerasinghe (2015). First record of cheilostome encrusting bryozoan, Celleporaria volsella (Tilbrook, 2006) from coastal waters of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 20th International Forestry and Environment Symposium, Waikkala, Sri Lanka.
- De Silva, D.P.N., H.S.D. Fernando, R.R.M.K.P. Ranatunga and B.G.D.N.K. De Silva (2015). First Record Of Cestode Parasite Larvae Belong to Order: Trypanorhyncha Isolated from Sword Fish Captured in Sri Lanka, 2nd Annual International Conference on Fisheries and Aquaculture, 25th – 27th August, 2015, Hotel Galadari, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Dulanjali Wijethilake and R R M K P Ranatunga (2015) Dinoflagellate Cyst Assemblage And Sediment Characteristics of Colombo Port, Sri Lanka, International Conference on Biological, Civil and Environmental Engineering (IIBCE), March 18-19, 2015 Dubai (UAE)
- 2012 Yeosu Korea Foundation Overseas Development Assistant (ODA) grants.
- Project Title : Capacity development to manage marine debris in Sri Lanka
- NRC Research Grant : NRC 2015-058
- Project Title: Biofouling assemblage and invasive potential of non-indigenous species in Colombo port and adjacent coastal waters: A risk assessment
- University Research Grant : ASP/01/RE/SCI/2015/28
- Project Title: Antifouling properties in secondary metabolites of some marine organisms.
- University Research Grant : 2013/14– ASP/06/RE/SCI/2013/21
- Project Title: Biofouling assemblage and invasive potential of non indigenous species in Colombo port and adjacent coastal waters: A risk assessment
- University Research Grant : 2009/10
- Project Title: Reef fish assemblages of commercial fish catches in western and southern coastal waters: species composition and fishing effects
- Marine Environmental Protection Authority (MEPA) – External Research Grant
- Project Title: Harmful aquatic organisms in Ballast water
- Project Aware Foundation (Asia- Pacific)
- Project title: Spatial dynamics in the demography of exploited reef fishes.
PhD -Principal Supervisor
- Biofouling assemblage and invasive potential of non indigenous species in Colombo port and adjacent coastal waters: A risk assessment – Kalpani Marasinghe (ongoing)
- Assessment of Post Conflict Development to Forecast Planning in Killinochchi District, using Integrated Strategic Environment Assessment as a Tool – H D B Chandrasekara
- Development of Water Quality Index (WQI) for Ground Water in Madawachchiya & Hurulu Wewa regions in North Central Province as a Potential Preventive Measure on Chronic Kidney Disease in Uncertain Etiology(CKDu) – Senanayake, S A M A I K
- Effect of Hydrogeochemistry of groundwater on Chronic Kidney Disease with unknown etiology in Girandurukotte and Nagadeepa – Wasantha Senadeera
- Antifouling properties of some marine organisms – Ruvini Weerasinghe (Ongoing)
- Present status of the spiny lobster (Panulirus homarus) fishery in South Coast, Sri Lanka – W A L Wicremasinghe (2016)
- Influence of river plume on physico-chemical characteristics of Trincomalee bay and adjacent coastal waters – J A C Prasad (2016)
- Morphological and molecular identification of a parasite from Genus Molicola (Cestoda: Trypanorhyncha) from Sword fish (Xiphias gladius) in Sri Lanka – D P N de Silva (2016)
- Spatial variation of zooplankton composition and diversity in selected coastal habitats – K H K Bandaranayaka (2014)
- Status of Shrimp trawl fishery in North Western Coastal Waters of Sri Lanka – J S Jayanatha (2014)
- Effectiveness of anchored Fish Aggregating Device (FAD) on fish aggregation behaviour – A A S H Athukorala (2013)
- Changes in sensory properties and post harvest quality due to changes in microbial and chemical properties of refrigerated tuna fish – GRC Hewawasam (2011)
- Export oriented ornamental fish industry in Sri Lanka – P U I Perera (2011)
Text Books/ Reports:
- Port Biological Baseline Survey Report – Volume I – Port of Colombo (Editor-in-Chief)
- Port Biological Baseline SurveyReport – Volume II – Port of Trincomalee (Editor-in-Chief)
Membership and positions held in Professional Societies:
- Life member, Section D- Life and Earth Sciences, Sri Lanka Association for Advancement of Science
- Secretary, 2019, 2010
- President elect – 2011
- President, 2012, Ex-President – 2013
- Member of the Environment Committee – 2015
- Life member, Sri Lanka Association for Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management
- Member of the Executive Committee, Sri Lanka Marine Forum
- Life member, Institute of Biology
Editorial and review work:
- International Journal in Multidisciplinary Approaches (ICMA), Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
- Journal of Asian Fisheries Society
- Journal of Tropical Forestry and Environment
- Sri Lanka Association for Advancement of Science
- Sri Lanka Association for Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Management (SLAFAR)
- Institute of Biology IOB
- International Conference in Multidisciplinary Approaches
- Forestry and Environment Symposium
(Last updated – 19th October, 2017)