The Center for Sustainability of the Department of Forestry & Environmental Sciences organized a four day certificate workshop on municipal solid waste management. It was held from the 2nd to 5thSeptember at the department premises.
A considerable number of topics such as,
- Cleaner production technologies,
- Municipal solid waste scenario in Sri Lanka,
- Integrated solid waste management,
- Waste reduction,
- Waste recycling,
- Overview of engineered landfills for municipal solid waste,
- Design and construction of landfills for municipal solid waste,
- Sri Lanka experience of landfills,
- Conversion of open dumps to controlled landfills,
- Waste to energy,
- Technologies in bio gas generation,
- Composting of municipal solid waste
- Legal aspects of solid waste management in Sri Lanka
were discussed at the workshop. Two field visits were also done to enhance the program.